As entrepreneurs that are the voice of their business, we’ve all heard it — that inner voice that speaks up whenever we’ve just messed up.
Sometimes, your critical inner voice tells you what you should have done but didn’t. Other times, it reminds you of something you did that you could have avoided.
I call it MEAN TWIN and he/she gets really loud.
How can you quiet that voice before it destroys your self-esteem and confidence?
You don't....you actually start to have a chat with him/her :)
Follow this 6-step process:
- LISTEN. Point by point, what does your inner voice say? Jot it down so you can reflect on what you feel you’re doing wrong. One by one, go through the points and ask yourself, “Is this really valid?” If so circle it. If not, cross it off your list.
- ASK yourself: when did the criticisms start? For example, if you say to yourself, “You’ll never be successful at anything,” take time to resolve why you feel that way deep down inside. You’ll likely discover a time when an authority figure was overly critical of you. You are not there anymore...you can move on.
- LET IT GO. Release any negative remarks from your list that stem from those early experiences. Why? Because they simply hold no validity for you now. Give yourself permission to let go of any negative statement that prevents you from moving forward and being successful in life. Empower yourself by omitting this negativity from your life.
- ACKNOWLEDGE that self-criticism can be damaging. Your brain is like a computer and your thoughts are like the code that runs it. If you continue to repeat the negative statements, it is like you are programming your brain to think and act that way. Realize that no one can function well when being told constantly that he cannot do a certain thing. Running yourself down emotionally isn’t the answer to anything.
- CHEER YOURSELF! Instead of thinking, “I won’t be good at swimming,” think, “This is a good opportunity for me to work on learning something new. Let's try!” Embrace a more encouraging part of you that speaks positively. Designate your supportive, caring voice as the one in charge. You can learn to be your strongest FAN!
- STICK WITH THE PLAN. Rather than allow your MEAN TWIN to get the worse of you, stick with the plan at full speed.
Listening and then quieting your MEAN TWIN is one of the wisest things you’ll ever do.
When you apply this process, you’ll discover a more serene, happy existence and you will see opportunities showing up in your life.
Go ahead and get started now!
And if you need any support, drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
To Your Success!